Skip to main content

28 January 2022

eir and InfraVia announce a partnership aimed at accelerating fibre-to-the-home roll-out across Ireland

Eircom Limited (“eir”), Ireland’s leading fixed broadband provider, and InfraVia Capital Partners (“InfraVia”) have reached an agreement to create a dedicated fibre company focused on the deployment of fibre-to-the-home (“FTTH”) across the Republic of Ireland. eir will contribute its existing FTTH and copper infrastructure while InfraVia will serve as an investment partner to accelerate the deployment of eir’s open access FTTH network in order to reach 1.9 million premises by the end of 2026. The FTTH network will provide ultrafast speeds across the Republic of Ireland, accelerating the country’s digital transformation. InfraVia will acquire a 49.99% interest in the entity, with eir retaining the remaining 50.01%.

The entity, named Fibre Networks Ireland will benefit from eir’s high quality existing infrastructure base and its proven ability to deploy fibre across both rural and urban areas. Fibre Networks Ireland will also have access to eir’s industry-leading team and world-class specialists throughout the duration of the fibre roll out. Fibre Network Ireland will enter into a long-term service agreement with eir, who will continue supporting the entity’s operations and investment program. The network will have an open access model, providing high quality service available to all retail broadband operators in Ireland via Open eir Networks.

Designed to accelerate the rollout of FTTH across Ireland, this partnership falls in line with and demonstrates eir’s commitment to bringing high quality fibre infrastructure to Irish communities. InfraVia is a flexible and adaptive capital partner that will work collaboratively with eir to ensure an efficient and effective deployment process, benefiting all stakeholders. InfraVia draws on its experience base in previous FTTH investments across Europe.

eir CFO Stephen Tighe said of the deal, “The establishment of Fibre Networks Ireland provides a vehicle for further investment in our already extensive network. eir’s mission has always been to connect people through great quality services. Through this exciting partnership with InfraVia we can improve our ability to connect customers faster than ever before and ensure that more homes in Ireland can access the high-speed internet that has become increasingly important part of how we live our lives.

Bruno Candès, Partner at InfraVia Capital Partners, said, “We are very pleased to partner with eir and its shareholders in building out a high quality, national FTTH network that will provide next generation connectivity across Ireland. Fibre internet access is a critical service that enables an inclusive digital transformation, and we are proud to support this transition in the Republic of Ireland. This investment builds on our existing track record in Ireland and our deep communications infrastructure experience across Europe. We look forward to working with eir in this partnership in the years ahead.



Vincent LEVITA Founder and CEO
+33 (0)1 40 68 17 38

Antoine Denry
+33 (0) 6 18 07 83 27

Leave a Reply